Alter: Decoupage wine bottles

It’s always fun designing projects as a challenge – genres of crafting thatimage I’ve admired but normally don’t dabble in. Decoupage is one of these, while I’ve decoupaged a lot during my early crafting years I felt I had grown out of it and moved the greener pastures of mixed media – until of course this project came along. An old client came to us with a very specific requirement, an image of 2 hand painted 1920’s-esque bottles. I love working with paints but fine arts is so not my forte. I turned the project down and told the client I’d help her find someone who could paint something similar for her. A few months passed (and ofcourse I forgot) she came back with the same project – this time around I was working on another mixed media project that used tissue and glassine paper to create textured backgrounds – looking at the image again sparked an idea, I knew I couldn’t paint intricately but I could definitely work something out with decoupage.

I started off with two old bottles I loved how they were not identical but similar in shape and complimented each other perfectly. The glass bottles got a through coating of white Gesso to create the base for the decoupage. The client’s color palette was specific and while I found the hot pink and yellow she wanted I decided to make my own mint green color by mixing acrylic paints together. The third component was the patterned element – I used white tissue paper and stenciled over it using Americana Decor Harlequin 12×12 stencil and black gesso. Once everything was dry, I tore up the sheets into pieces of various uneven sizes. Each piece was layered on, one on top of the other, keeping in mind that the opaque mint green pieces were mostly used in the background or exposed areas. The pieces were decoupaged using matt Mod Podge.

Entered for the following crafty challenges:

#35 January 2016 – Be inspired by BOTTLES




An alter in time! – Altered gift box

Had been procrastinating about wrapping a birthday present, and as always my crafting came down to the last moment…or more like the day of the birthday! A sunday well spent 🙂

The birthday girl has a recently founded obsession for crafting, i thought it apt to send her a box full if crafting supplies. Coincidentally the only thing these supplies fit into was an old gift set perfume box, and yes i hoard these too 😛 I was inspired by the olive green box and decided to do the project in yellows and green.20151004_113232

The surface got a lick of white LiquidTex Gesso, some torn paper. Once dry I added on some stenciling details with Gesso and Gloss Medium. Next adding on colors, I misted on a vibrant yellow to build the green color over. Once semi dry I added on Dark green mist in one corner and stretched the ink across the lid a rag, on the opposite side of the lid i added White acrylic paint and merged the green mist, yellow mist and the white acrylic paint to create a lovely ombre effect.

20151004_115928 20151004_122122 20151004_123613

To create some additional visual interest i diffused the inks by spraying on some water with a mister and sprinkling on sploches of white ink. Embellishments were added on next, an old Tag with silicone melt butterfly details was distress a bit with gesso and TimHoltz Ever greenbrough green distress ink. The Butterflies were spruced up with DecoArt Metallic paint.


I ran with the rustic/ foresty look and added on floral metal embellishments, rope, Gesso covered leaves, a gigantic metal paper clip and some emerald green rhinestones. Ps: the flags and paper trimmings used to layer are all scraps of paper that were lying around on my craft table – they got covered with Gesso and ink while i was being the messy crafter that I am. I thought they looked very organic  so i ended up using them on the project.

wpid-20151004_163259_20151008181109735.jpgThis project has been entered for:

Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #18 – Texture

Vogue – Altered wooden box

It’s a long weekend break here in Pakistan and I thought I’d get some much needed craft room cleaning done. wpid-20150924_173508.jpg*Siigh*…I have realized that  I have the attention span of a monkey. I’m not entirely sure how my cleaning escapades turned into yet another altered project – although I have inkling that this shiny Versace belt buckle had a role to play.

As soon as I found the buckle I knew what it would become, the project had to be a fashion/ haberdashery inspired piece. Next a mini raid was conducted and i picked out sewing bits and bobs including metal bobbin, beads, old buttons, metal filigree, a discarded pieces of gorgeous lace.

The box was an old abandoned project, i had covered it in Rustoleum hammered finish Bronze but never really liked the outcome and had set it aside. I normally work with white Gesso, and had recently bought Black Gesso to experiment with, I decided the gold would go well with the black background – after adding the lace to the lid to add the texture the lid of the box was covered in black Gesso.


The embellishments went on next, played around with them a bit till I was happy. I liked the idea of contrast against the black background and so the embellishments I painted in White using Liquidtex White Acrylic paint. I dry brushed the buckle embellishment so that parts of it would remain gold.


The elements were then stuck on the lid and sealed in using DalerRowney Matt Gel. I went over the embellishments once more with Marie’s Gold Acrylic paint and gently dry brushed the pieces to leave a hint of gold behind. The inside of the box got a lick of Bright red with Marie’s Scarlet Acrylic paint.


This project has been entered for the following challenges:

Try it on Tuesday

Anything But Cute – Challenge #5 – September – Mixed Media Makeover

Show history